A doctor at the Bundelkhand Medical College in Sagar District refused to provide ventilation to a kid who was admitted there with 70 per cent burn injuries, resulting in her death. According to parents, one-and-half-year-old Anshika Ahirwar was taken to the Bundelkhand Medical College on Friday after she fell into a pot of boiling water. But by afternoon the girl’s condition began deteriorating and Dr Jyoti Raut who examined the girl said that her condition was critical and that she should be kept on the ventilator.
When the parents asked for the ventilator Dr Raut said the Burns ward did not have one. This resulted in an argument between the parents and the doctor. In a video that has since gone viral, Dr Raut unaware of her being filmed is seen arguing with the parents. “We don’t have ventilators here. The machine costs Rs 1 crore. Will you arrange one? If yes, please do,” she is heard saying in the video.
The girl who was critical, died later in the day. Following the outrage, after the video went viral, an investigation was launched and Dr Raut was suspended for negligence. Dr G S Patel the dean of Bundelkhand Medical College also rejected Dr Raut claim that there was no ventilator and said that it was available in the ICU where the patient could have been shifted.