On Wednesday, Gunmen armed with assault rifles and grenade launcher stormed the heavily fortified headquarters of the Afghan interior minister. The security forces battle for more than two hours in the latest attack on the capital Kabul.
A senior police official said,”A car bomb was detonated at the entrance of the ministry to launch the attack and then several gunmen managed to get inside the compound”.
The ministry spokesman, Najib Danish, confirmed the attack was carried out by a group of 10 militants and at least one policeman was killed and five were wounded.
One attacker blew himself up inside the compound and another was resisting from a watchtower as a plume of dust and smoke rose over the sprawling site, a senior ministry official said.
Officials inside the ministry said the attackers could not breach key buildings as they are located far from the main entrance and there is a wide flat space inside the compound, helping Afghan forces to subdue the attack quickly.
No group claimed responsibility for the latest in a series of deadly attacks in Kabul this year that has killed and wounded hundreds of people, despite repeated official pledges to improve security in the capital.
Two explosions in Kabul killed at 26 people, last month, including nine journalists who had arrived to report on an initial blast and were targeted by a suicide bomber which was claimed by the Islamic State fighters.
In and around Kabul security has been on high alert in recent days with more checkpoints and patrols as “complex attacks” by the Taliban on the government or foreign installations in the coming week.