The Telangana state transport department introduced a `scheme for penalty points’.
As per the new rules, penalty points have been fixed for different offences in the range of one to five. When a motorist’s tally reaches 12, his or her driving licence will be cancelled for a year, if the person accumulates 12 more points, the licence will suspended for two years and then for three years.
Following are the points for various traffic rules violations:
1) Not wearing helmet / seat belt: 1 point
2) Driving vehicle without insurance / hazardous substances: 2 points
3) Driving vehicle over-speed / wrong route: 2 points
4) Drunken driving (two wheelers): 3 points
5) Drunken driving (four wheelers): 4 points
6) Drunken driving (Government vehicle): 5 points
7) Car / Bike race: 3 points
8) Driving without pollution certificate / parking on the highways: 2 points
9) If cases are filed under IPC 279, 336, 337, 338 sections: 2 points
10) If cases are filed under 304 (A), 304 (II): 5 points
11) Chain snatching and other crimes while driving: 5 points
If a driver gets 12 point for the second time, his / her driving license will be suspended or two years. If the same happens for the third time, his / her license will be suspended for three years.
Drivers with learner license should not cross five violation points. If they reach more than 5 points, learner’s license will be cancelled and they can get it again through the original process.