The 52-year-old Hindi film actor Salman Khan, who has been convicted by a Jodhpur court in the blackbuck poaching case, has been sentenced to five years of jail.
The court, however, gave an opportunity to the actor to seek bail from the same court.
How much money is riding on him?
Salman Khan, at present, has multiple films in his kitty. There are multiple superhits in the making like Remo D’Souza’s Race 3, Ali Abbas Zafar’s Bharat, Dabangg 3 and Kick 2 and finally a popular game show Dus Ka Dum.
Race 3’s estimated budget is over Rs 100 crore. Bharat is mounted on a lavish scale.
Things to know
1. Blackbuck case (1998): Salman Khan sentenced to two years in jail for allegedly hunting two blackbucks during the outdoor shoot for Sooraj Barjatya film, Hum Saath Saath Hain, in Rajasthan almost 20 years ago.
2. Salman Khan is facing charges under the Wildlife (Protection) Act. The punishment for all of them, if found guilty could be six years while the minimum sentence is for one year.
3. The blackbuck shooting took place near a village of Bishnois, a community that protects blackbucks.
4. Arms Act case (1998): The police filed the case against Salman in October 1998 for possessing and using unlicensed .22 rifle and .32 US-made revolver to poach the blackbuck.
5. Chinkara poaching case (1998): Two separate cases were registered in 1998 against Salman under Section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act.
6. In 2006, Salman was convicted by the trial court and handed sentences of one and five years. But, he was acquitted in both the cases in 2017 by the Rajasthan high court due to lack of evidence.
7. The Rajasthan government filed an appeal in the Supreme Court.
8. Salman was jailed two times in these cases – in April 2006 and in August 2007.
9. Hit-and-run case: The Bombay High Court acquitted Salman of all criminal charges in a hit-and-run case in 2015, months after he had been found guilty by a trial court.