A 19-year-old HIV-positive man, who had consumed poison after his blood had infected a pregnant woman in Tamil Nadu, died on Sunday. The man was rescued after he had consumed rat poison at his home in Ramanathapuram district a few days ago. He was shifted to the Madurai Rajaji Government Medical College Hospital where he died of Gastro-Intestinal (GI) bleeding.
“He was in critical condition and under observation for two days. Suddenly, he had internal bleeding this morning. We continued the necessary treatment but he died this morning,” said Dr S Shanmugasundaram, dean in charge. The teenager was unaware of the infection when he had donated blood in November.
The test by the government blood bank at Sivakasi had found him to be HIV negative. However, the blood he had donated in 2016 at a private blood donation camp was found to be HIV infected. The counsellors there neither informed nor blacklisted him.